Defense Finance and Accounting Service Financial Management Analyst in Columbus, Ohio
About the Agency
DFAS' (Defense Finance and Accounting Service) mission is to lead the DoD (Department of Defense) in finance and accounting by ensuring the delivery of efficient, exceptional quality pay and financial information. We take pride in serving the men and women who defend America. DFAS is seeking goal-oriented people who like a challenge and care about serving our country. We offer rewarding careers in finance, accounting, information systems, contracting services, human resources, clerical work and many other areas.
**This Job Opportunity Announcement is using an additional online assessment tool to evaluate applicants. Please review the HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED, HOW TO APPLY and WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT sections below for instructions.
- Manages programs and processes in order to ensure efficient and compliant execution of financial management resources
- Prepares and delivers briefings, training sessions, consultations and strategy sessions with other staff service functions and activities to influence managers and others to accept findings and recommendations.
- Assesses a variety of reports received from internal and external sources to develop formalized recommendations for management's consideration.
- Evaluates operations, policies, procedures, and internal controls of financial operations to prevent and detect deficiencies in the operation of financial management areas.
- Receives special projects pertaining to improving the effectiveness and efficiency of financial management operations and related functional requirements
- Duties will be developmental in nature when the position is filled below the full performance level.
- Occasional Travel
- There is no regular or recurring travel requirement
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Permanent DFAS Columbus Agency Employees Only
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
- Must be a U.S Citizen or National
- Background Investigation
- Registered for Selective Service (males born after 12-31-1959)
- Suitable for federal employment
- Served 3 months after initial competitive appointment into Federal Service
- Obtain/Maintain Financial Management Certification
Specialized experience at the GS-7 level is defined as: applying financial laws, principles, systems, policies, methods, and practices to provide routine technical guidance to managers, employees and/or customers; gathering data from financial systems; and researching financial policies and laws to resolve common financial issues. Specialized experience at the GS-9 level is defined as: researching and interpreting financial regulations, policies and laws to provide substantive recommendations and advice to managers; analyzing and evaluating reports and data from financial systems to identify issues and discrepancies; and researching and interpreting financial policies and laws to resolve financial issues. Specialized experience at the GS-11 level is defined as: analyzing financial and accounting operations to recommend process improvements; monitoring and evaluating financial systems to identify weaknesses and ensure compliance with internal controls; and analyzing the impact of applicable laws and regulations on an organization's financial policies, operations and systems and recommending changes to maintain compliance.
GS-7 Substitution of Education for Experience: One full year of graduate level education or Superior Academic Achievement (http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/policy/ApplicationOfStds-04.asp) may be substituted to meet the specialized experience requirement. GS-9 Substitution of Education for Experience: Two full years of progressively higher level graduate education, Master's or equivalent graduate degree, may be substituted to meet the specialized experience requirement. GS-11 Substitution of Education for Experience:Three full years of progressively higher-level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree may be substituted to meet the specialized experience requirement.
Equivalent combinations of successfully completed higher-level graduate level education and experience may be used to meet total experience requirements. If you are using education to substitute for the specialized experience, you must submit transcripts at the time you apply. To be creditable, education must have been obtained in an accredited college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education (http://www2.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html).
Time in Grade: Current or former federal employees who have held a GS position in the preceding 52 weeks must meet the time in grade requirement. For the GS-7, applicants must have served 52 weeks as a GS-5 or higher grade in the Federal Service. For the GS-9, applicants must have served 52 weeks as a GS-7 or higher grade in the Federal Service. For the GS-11, applicants must have served 52 weeks as a GS-9 or higher grade in the Federal Service. Time after Competitive Appointment: Candidates must have served 3 months after latest competitive appointment in the Federal service. Background or Security Investigation: This is a non-critical sensitive position. Employment in this position requires a background investigation which may delay your starting date. If you are selected and cannot obtain a favorable security determination within a reasonable period of time due to disclosed or undisclosed background issues, the employment offer may be withdrawn. Individuals selected for this position are required to obtain and maintain a favorable security determination to occupy a sensitive position within the agency as a condition of employment. Failure to maintain eligibility to occupy a sensitive position may result in termination. For more information see the security section of Understanding Vacancy Announcements.
This entry level position will be covered by a formal training development program with promotion opportunities under the DFAS Leaders In Motion (LIM) Program. The purpose of this program is to develop well-qualified, well-trained, high potential employees for future positions within DFAS. Promotion is conditional based on performance, successful completion of training, and availability of higher graded work. Participants who do not successfully complete the program may be separated. Individuals who previously successfully completed the program will not be placed in the formal developmental program and are ineligible for having pay set using maximum payable rate or pay retention.
What To Expect Next
If you meet the minimum qualifications of this position, you may be presented with instructions on how to access the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments system. These additional online assessments must be completed within 48 hours following the close of this announcement unless you have requested Reasonable Accommodation for the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments. Your results will be kept on record for one year when applying for future jobs that require the same USA Hire Competency Based Assessments.
The occupational questionnaire and the resume that you submit will be used to assess your qualifications for the job, and to identify the best qualified applicants to be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps has been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
Review our benefits
- If you are unable to apply online, view the following link for information regarding Alternate Application.
- Moving expenses will not be paid.
- We may use this announcement to make a temporary promotion. For some positions, the temporary promotion may be made permanent without further competition.
- Selections are subject to restrictions resulting from the DoD Program for Stability of Civilian Employment.
- A two year probationary or trial period may be required.
- We may use this announcement to fill additional vacancies within 120 days of the closing date.
- This position is Exempt (GS-11), Non-Exempt (GS-7 and GS-9) from the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- There is no regular or recurring travel requirement.
- This position is covered by a bargaining unit.
- Retired Civil Service Employee: Employment of retired Federal employees receiving an annuity is subject to the requirements of the Department of Defense (DoD) policy guidance. (See DoD Instruction 1400.25, Volume 300, at http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives.
- Reasonable Accommodation Requests: If you believe you have a disability (i.e., physical or mental), covered by the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 as amended and Americans with Disabilities Act 1990 as amended, that would interfere with completing the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments, you will be granted the opportunity to request a reasonable accommodation in your online application. Requests for Reasonable Accommodations for the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments and appropriate supporting documentation for Reasonable Accommodation must be received prior to starting the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments. Decisions on requests for Reasonable Accommodations are made on a case-by-case basis. If you meet the minimum qualifications of the position, after notification of the adjudication of your request, you will receive an email invitation to complete the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments. You must complete all assessments within 48 hours of receiving the URL to access the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments. To determine if you need a Reasonable Accommodation, please review the Procedures for Requesting a Reasonable Accommodation for Online Assessments here: https://help.usastaffing.gov/Apply/images/1/14/USAHireReasonableAccommodationFAQs-01-26-17.pdf
- This position requires you to obtain and maintain a Level 2 Certification under the DoD Financial Management (FM) Certification Program as a condition of employment. If you are selected, you will have to obtain this certification within two (2) years of your entry on duty in the position unless you are already in a position that requires a Level 2 Certification in which case you must complete the certification within the original 2-year period. Failure to become certified within the required time-frame may be grounds for removal from the position and/or from Federal service. Information about the DoD FM Certification Program is available at http://www.dfas.mil/dam/dfas/careers/pdf/DoDFMCertificationProgram.pdf.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/474290200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-07-12 to 2017-08-01
Salary: $41,897 to $80,603 / Salary range for GS-7 is $41,897-$54,470; Salary range for GS-9 is $51,248-$66,626; Salary range for GS-11 is $62,005-$80,603
Pay scale & grade: GS 7 - 11
Series: 0501 Financial Administration And Program
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full-Time
Job announcement number: CO-10025463-17
Control number: 474290200