MDU Resources Group Public Awareness Coordinator in Kennewick, Washington
Responsible for the development and implementation of the Public Safety Awareness Program to customers and the general public enhancing the safety related to gas facilities and distribution system. Responsible for ensuring compliance with State and other regulatory agency’s regulations. Works with outside agencies such as first responders, public officials, contractors and schools while raising the public’s awareness of the potential hazards of natural gas pipelines and facilities. Responsible for placing safety as #1 priority in day to day work routine for self and others.
A Bachelor’s degree is preferred, an equivalent combination of education and/or experience may be considered.
A minimum of three years of public safety experience or related experience in a utility or other institution whose primary business may put the public at risk is required.
Requires frequent travel-40-50%
Required to maintain a valid driver’s license.
- Responsible for coordinating public safety awareness and damage prevention efforts for all stakeholders including the general public, local officials, first responders, contractors, excavators, school children etc. aimed at reducing accidents involving customers and the general public.
- Ensuring compliance with Federal, State and other regulatory agency's regulations and requirements. Train, investigate and audit as necessary to ensure compliance regulations and requirements are met.
- Responsible for the development of standardized procedures and policies related to API RP 1162.
- Collaborate and partner with internal stakeholders.
- Maintain involvement and work with various external organizations such as Common Ground Alliance 811 organization, Local Emergency Planning Committee programs (LEPC), public officials, first responders, contractors and schools.
- Partner with others to engage community based organizations to build public safety awareness of facility locations, what to do following gas leaks, a rupture or explosion and build confidence in our pipeline safety for urban and high consequence areas.
- Establish metrics and develop a record keeping system for departments to measure the program’s progress for monthly and quarterly reports to be submitted to executive management. Track community engagements for routine performance reporting with assistance from Senior Region Directors.
- Establish and maintain a public safety budget for program presentations and supplies.
- Coordinate the advertising, production of publications and electronic communications for damage prevention/emergency response education to include research, writing and editing.
- Develop, implement and maintain the Public Awareness Plan, including mailings to stakeholders, updating the stakeholder database and maintaining effective communication with stakeholders.
- Coordinate and/or participate in pipeline safety education events including excavator one-call training, emergency responder training and Company emergency response training.
- Monitor and keep abreast of regulations, communication trends, philosophies and effectiveness measurement of efforts.
- Represent the Company as assigned at industry meetings and during Pipeline Safety Inspections regarding public awareness.
- Performs other tasks and special projects as assigned.
Key Skills & Competencies
Knowledge of federal, state and local laws, gas compliance regulations and ordinances is required.
Proven track record of successfully delivering services to a broad array of audiences, preferably in the public awareness arena.
Ability to network well with internal and external audiences is required.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills (including technical writing) with the ability to influence and lead behavior change. Able to effectively communicate, correspond and interact with senior staff/management and field personnel.
Advanced MS Office computer skills.
Must be a self-starter with the ability to take initiative to work on multiple tasks with minimal supervision. Able to work both independently and in a team environment.
Excellent organizational and analytical skills.
Exceptional customer service skills and ability to provide effective and timely information.
Utility operations and compliance experience preferably in the natural gas industry.
Training and proficiency in business applications software with work management software experience desirable.
Company: Cascade Natural Gas Corporation
Location: Kennewick, WA
Hiring Manager: Christopher W Grissom
Closing Date: 07/23/2017 at 11:59pm CDT
Job Type: Full-Time
Entry Level: $4,933 - $6,167 /month